#46 Nick Deluca: Position(s): ILB/TE
Nick Deluca was my favorite player in this years Draft. He is a very instinctive player with the best hands and coverage skills you will ever see in a linebacker. Where he struggles is getting after the Quarterback and getting physical, he can get canceled out by a lineman easily and needs to work on his pass rushing skills. On the newest Titans depth chart, they have Deluca listed as a backup linebacker as well as a backup Tight End which is puzzling to me, but when you think about Mike Vrabel (Titans New Head Coach) and how he was used over his career, as a Linebacker and a red zone tight end, Coach Vrabel might be trying to make a “Mini Me” out of Deluca using him as a two way player? This kid is a stud and hopefully makes the final roster.
#58 Harold Landry: Position: ROLB/RDE
Harold Landry is being labeled “The Steal Of The Draft” by NFL experts. He was one of the most hyped up players in 2016, leading the Nation in sacks with 16 and having a college season comparative to Von Miller when he was in college! Landry is a quick outside linebacker and defensive end who is being compared to players such as Vic Beasly, Von Miller, and Jamie Collins. He is going to be playing a lot tonight and we will be able to get a good look at what the Titans drafted last April.
Weight: 311 lbs
Hall was drafted in the second round of the 2018 draft by the Oakland Raiders with the 57th overall pick. Throughout his college career, he has amassed some very surprising numbers for a Defensive Tackle. Hall holds the FCS record with the most career tackles for loss, has 4 interceptions and 29 pass breakups, he also amassed 37 sacks in his college career. His stats are eerily similar to only one NFL Defensive Lineman, Cameron Jordan. These players are very similar in build and play style, they can both get after the Quarterback but also occasionally drop back into coverage on specific defensive schemes and packages. At the 57th pick, the Raiders got a steal by selecting Hall.
The Titans have already made some interesting moves this offseason, they added the “Super Bowl Hero” Malcolm Butler who is a top NFL corner and Dion Lewis a shifty pass catching back who will be utilized on third downs. The Titans lost their star MLB Avery Williamson this year to the Jets and are looking to make up for his departure in signing/Drafting a new Linebacker.
- Zach Brown: The 28-year-old Inside Linebacker is a former Titan and has been producing at a high level since his departure in 2015. In his past two seasons, he has recorded over 270 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He is an elite run stopper and will come with a hefty price tag, around 8-10M a year.
- Sheldon Richardson: A all round type player, Richardson can play D-End, Defensive Tackle and play as a pass rushing outside linebacker. He had a down year last year due to being traded mid-season from the Jets to the Seahawks where he only recorded 1.0 sack the whole year. He is a very athletic Defensive Tackle and would fit in with the Titans very well.
- Navorrow Bowman: The veteran linebacker is the number one linebacker on the market this year and will most likely come with a very hefty price tag. He is a dominant tackler with a ton of power, averaging around 140 tackles a year he is one of the most productive linebackers in the NFL.
- Dontari Poe: Perhaps the most interesting player in the NFL, Poe is a 350-pound defensive tackle who has in the course of his career has thrown, rushed and caught a touchdown. A force to be reckoned with in the trenches Poe is a pure run stuffer and a surprisingly quick player (He ran a 4.98 in the 40-yard dash in 2012). He would add a piece to the puzzle for the Titans defense and help out their run defense tremendously.
In 2015 Doug Pederson was the Offensive coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs when they faced Tom Brady and the Patriots. They ended up steamrolling over the Patriots 41 to 14 in a home win, Alex Smith had 248 Yards and 3 touchdowns on the night with 2 touchdowns coming from running back screens to Jamaal Charles. Pederson’s offense also had over 200+ yards rushing against the Patriots defense that game. So if Pederson can model that same gameplan against the Patriots again today they have a very good chance of beating the Patriots in Super Bowl 52.
Things to Watch for:
- Can the Eagles get Pressure on Tom Brady?
- Can The Eagles get the running game going (3rd best in NFL) with former Patriot superstar LeGarrette Blount and powerhouse Jay Ajayi?
- Can the Patriots get their 10th Ranked rushing attack going against the league-best Eagles rush defense?
- Tom Brady VS The Eagles Secondary
Chiefs: 21 Titans: 20
The Chiefs played the Titans in a spectacular game last year which ended up with a game winning 60 yard feild goal from the Titans Ryan Succop (Final score 19-17 Titans Win). But I think the Chiefs will have the edge in depth in this game, Titans Lose 21-10.
Players to Watch:
- Tyreek Hill
- Marcus Mariota
- Derek Henry
- Patrick Mahomes II
- A’doree Jackson
Friday, The Bills have traded Star wide receiver Sammy Watkins and a 2018 sixth-round to the Rams for cornerback E.J. Gains and a 2018 second-round pick.
Also, The Bills have acquired wide receiver Jordan Matthews and 2018 third-round pick from the Eagles for stand out cornerback Ronald Darby.
As the first week of the NFL preseason is underway we will be taking a look at the week 1 match up that has two of the top defensive teams in all the NFL.
Top 5 things to look for:
- Christian McCafferys Impact: McCaffery will be in the starting rotation in the regular season for the Panthers, used mostly as a 3rd down or long yardage back. I will be looking to see how much impact he has on the game and what role he has in the panthers offense.
- Texans Rookies: The Texans came out of the NFL draft in good shape picking up some good talent including, will take on the Texans Deshaun Watson, D’onta Foreman and Zach Cunningham. I will be wanting to see what impact these players have as the game wears on. Some Questions to ask about the Texans Rookies:
- Will Foreman get going?
- Will Cunningham have a Impact at Linebacker?
- Will Deshaun Watson have solid NFl debut?
- How will the Panthers handle NO Cam Newton? Cam Newton will not be playing today, so for the majority of the first half the Panthers Starting offense will take on the Texans starting Defense without star QB Cam Newton leading the team. Will the Panthers resort to a run heavy start to the game, or let their backup(s) come out slinging?
- J.J. Watt/Jadeveon Clowney: These two Texans superstars wont get much playing time, but it will be interesting to see how much disruption they cause in those 10-15 minutes they have on the field together.
- Joe Webb: The Mobile Veteran Webb is one of the most mobile quarterbacks in the NFL, the Panthers third string QB will look to energize and excite the Panthers crowd with his flashy play style and quick feet. Look for Webb to put on a show tonight.
My Score Prediction: Texans: 24 Panthers: 21